Wednesday 18 December 2013

Data


I had an idea to document the life of a pigeon, from an egg, to a chick, to a fully grown pigeon and to a dead pigeon, but I couldn't make a connection between this idea and data until I thought of the population of pigeons in the UK.

I managed to find a chart showing the population of pigeons from 1994-2003 . I drew a dead pigeon and then I used tracing paper and drew the population chart so that it overlapped the drawing of the pigeon.

I think the line worked well with the angle of the body, and the tracing paper gave an effect to soften the tone of the drawing.


The idea of pigeons, was from taking a walk in Withwroth park. I always seem to see a dead body of a pigeon in the park. I thought this data is something that not many people have thought about, because pigeons are all over the city and they are common. I guess no one would bother if a few of them died. I feel like I want to look at the things that other people overlooked. 

I found this quote from The World According to Karl: The Wit and Wisdom of Karl Lagerfeld

"I hate the idea of lumbering people with whatever's left. When it's over, it's over. I'm against memory. There comes a time when you have to pack it in. I admire the animals in the wild. When they die you don't see them again. "( Mauriès, P and Napias, J-C (2013) 158)

I also like to move forward and think memory can become baggage, but I don't want to overlook things that are meaningful in life. 

It fascinates me to think about who might be interested enough to collect data about pigeon populations. 

 

Mauriès, P and Napias, J-C (2013) (The world According to Karl) London :Thames and Hudson. 



No comments:

Post a Comment